Everyone relies on the internet for some reason or another throughout the day. Whether it is to retrieve an email or whether it is to browse the news, having internet access at work or at home is a very necessary tool to have. Nowadays, with wireless internet technology improving drastically, you can access a high speed internet connection directly from your smart phone, performing functions that you are accustomed to while at the desk in the office. This broadband quality connection for while you are on-the-go is incredibly useful in many different ways. The following are a few ways that having a mobile internet connection can enhance your everyday life.Continue reading
There are millions of computer users browsing the internet every day and each one is looking at a different size monitor using a different resolution. How each person sees the graphics on your website varies depending on their screen and there is no uniform standards for making your site friendly to everyone.
What is Resolution
Screen resolution refers to how many pixels your computer monitor will display, both vertically and horizontally. If you have ever visited a website that did not fit your screen, making you scroll to the right to see the rest of the page, it was not entirely the designer’s fault. The website was just not created with your screen resolution in mind.
Not too long ago, the most common computer monitors featured a resolution of 480 X 640. A number of people still surf the internet using this screen resolution, while today’s popular monitors use a 1024 X 768 screen resolution and most websites are optimized to be viewed on these higher resolution screens. Those still using lower resolution displays will see websites quite differently than those the site was designed for.
Today’s monitors offer computer users a choice of several different screen resolutions, with the lowest resolution being 400 X 600. With so many choices, it is often confusing for users to decide on the best settings, especially if they are not aware of the differences.
Problems Created By Screen Resolution
Visitors to your site that are using monitors with low screen resolutions will usually not see your entire page on their screen. They will have to scroll horizontally to see the right side of your page. Those using a higher screen resolution than what your site is designed for may see a small, thin strip that can be rather frustrating.
Solutions for Resolution Problems
Some website designers create their website pages based on the smallest screen resolution sizes. This way, individuals using low resolution screens see the page as it should be and anyone using a higher resolution screen will have to adjust their resolution to see the page correctly.
Another option is to design your site pages based on the most commonly used screen resolution, 1024 X 768. By closely monitoring your website visitor statistics, you can see if this is actually the most popular resolution among your visitors. If it is, but you still have a fair amount of visitors with different resolutions you can add a message to your website letting your visitors know the best screen resolution, as well as instructions on changing the setting.
A final solution to resolution problems is an elastic website that looks the same no matter what screen resolution it is displayed on. This type of website design is much more complex, but it is often the best option for those who need a good looking website.
On this article you will learn how to setup your very own ubuntu router internet router. The ubuntu router / router will act precisely like any other router you could purchase on the store, besides your linux box may have extra functionality and further security. What you will want to build your Ubuntu Router Internet Gateway:
- Extra pc
- (2) Ethernet cards
- Ubuntu 8.04 LTS Server Version
- Putty This text will explain easy methods to setup a recent install of Ubuntu 10.04 server version, configuring a dhcp server for a neighborhood community,whereas a together with a firewall from the nasty internet. The very first thing that you are going to do is a fresh set up of the Ubuntu server version, but choosing only Open SSH server during the software set up part of the Ubuntu install. After the set up completes and your pc reboots, you might be then going to want to set a root password (su). sudo passwd root After you might have a set a root password, login into root by typing the following command: su After you are in super consumer mode (root) we’re then going to want to replace our Ubuntu Bistro. Type the following instructions to update the os and other programs. apt-get update apt-get upgrade After your computer updates, restart it. reboot Setup Network Cards vi /etc/network/interfaces Within the instance below my eth0 represents the community interface that connects to the web and the eth1 interface connectsto the switch. The swap then connects to your entire other networked devices, comparable to your gaming system and different networked devices. I added the next code into the /etc/network/interfaces file: Vi /etc/network/interfaces auto eth1 iface eth1 inet static address 192.168.10.1 netmask 255.255.255.0 network 192.168.10.0 broadcast 192.168.10.255 /etc/init.d/networking restart The next following step will not be required, but I like to set a hostname for my router, all you need to do is install apache and you may have your individual private intranet or net server. vi /etc/hosts echo homeserver.gateway.2wire.net > /etc/hostname /etc/init.d/hostname.sh start hostname hostname -f Ubuntu Hostname Once you have accomplished the next above, you should use putty to entry your linux machine from your windows based mostly pc. This will help you copy and paste the following code, to speed up the process of making your linux router. The very first thing that you will need to do to use putty to configure your Ubuntu router, is ready a static ip in your windows machine, since we do not have a dhcp server put in yet. Set a static ip address for Microsoft Vista.For those who do not need to use putty you can simply kind out the rest of the code, putty simply makes it easier. Once you have chosen your terminal program that your are going to use, again login underneath root. It is now time to install some software program, that we will need to setup the router. apt-get set up dhcp3-server bind9 vim perl libnet-ssleay-perl openssl libauthen-pam-perl libpam-runtime libio-pty-perl libmd5-perl
- Allow packet forwarding vi /etc/sysctl.conf Uncomment the following line to allow packet forwarding for IPv4 net.ipv4.ip_forward=1 echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward
- Install Webmin Webmin is anther good program to use to configure you ubuntu gateway and different server programs that you just would possibly use. If you use webmin, it is possible for you to to simply configure you server, utilizing any web browser you choose. cd /opt mkdir webmin cd /opt/webmin wget http://prdownloads.sourceforge.web/webadmin/webmin-1.430.tar.gz tar xzvf webmin-1.430.tar.gz cd webmin-1.430/ ./setup.sh During set up you can be requested a couple of questions, simply press enter a few times. The only thing that you just want to change is the port quantity, user name and password and also say yes to SSL. Ubuntu Webmin
- Configure dhcp Network address – 192.168.10.0 Netmask – 255.255.255.0 Address ranges -192.168.10.100 – 192.168.10.200 After you could have entered the the above click on on the create button. You should now see a icon that reads 192.168.10.0, click on this new icon after which click on the Edit Shopper Options button. Subnet mask – 255.255.255.0 Default routers – 192.168.10.1 Broadcast address – 192.168.10.255 DNS servers – 192.168.10.1 After you have got the above into the consumer choices home windows click the save button twice, which should return you to the principle Dhcp server window. Inside the dhcp server display screen, you see a button known as Edit Network Interface, click on this button and choose eth1 then click save. Now click on the Begin Sever button, if you see no errors, you’re good.
- Configure firewall Input: Accept if input interface is lo Accept if input interface is eth0 and state of connection is ESTABLISHED,RELATED Accept if input interface is eth1 Forward: Accept if input interface is eth0 and output interface is eth1 and state of connection is ESTABLISHED,RELATED Accept if input interface is eth1 and output interface is eth0 Now that concludes how to build your own Ubuntu Router Internet Gateway.
5 Important Rules in Website Design
When it comes to your website, extra attention should be paid to every minute detail to make sure it performs optimally to serve its purpose. Here are seven important rules of thumb to observe to make sure your website performs well.
1) Do not use splash pages
Splash pages are the first pages you see when you arrive at a website. They normally have a very beautiful image with words like “welcome” or “click here to enter”. In fact, they are just that — pretty vases with no real purpose. Do not let your visitors have a reason to click on the “back” button! Give them the value of your site up front without the splash page.
2) Do not use excessive banner advertisements
Even the least net savvy people have trained themselves to ignore banner advertisements so you will be wasting valuable website real estate. Instead, provide more valueable content and weave relevant affiliate links into your content, and let your visitors feel that they want to buy instead of being pushed to buy.
3) Have a simple and clear navigation
You have to provide a simple and very straightforward navigation menu so that even a young child will know how to use it. Stay away from complicated Flash based menus or multi-tiered dropdown menus. If your visitors don’t know how to navigate, they will leave your site.
4) Have a clear indication of where the user is
When visitors are deeply engrossed in browsing your site, you will want to make sure they know which part of the site they are in at that moment. That way, they will be able to browse relevant information or navigate to any section of the site easily. Don’t confuse your visitors because confusion means “abandon ship”!
5) Avoid using audio on your site
If your visitor is going to stay a long time at your site, reading your content, you will want to make sure they’re not annoyed by some audio looping on and on on your website. If you insist on adding audio, make sure they have some control over it — volume or muting controls would work fine.
Cable Broadband Internet service has undergone many advancement and improvements in the past few years. Many business and companies are taking advantage of this technology. For the past two decade the cable broadband Internet has been serving its customers with reliable and consistent internet. The success of the cable broadband internet service is many. However, these cable broadband has its own benefits and drawbacks. Although it has improved a lot in the past few years there are certain issues that still bother this cable broadband internet. Flexibility, cost and ease makes the cable broadband internet appealing.
The same infrastructure which is used by the cable TV is used by the cable internet service. Network of coaxial cables are used by television and the internet. This is possible as the coaxial cables are capable of sending sufficient bandwidth to house both services at the same time. They deliver better bandwidth, transfer speeds and reliability. The cost is another factor that makes them very attractive.
The best advantage of cable broadband service is that it does not require any phone service to operate. When the computer is switched on the internet is gets on. This means that the internet is always on and it takes less time to log in. The connection process is relatively simple, quick and easy. To get started all you have to do is open the web browser. The cable broadband internet service does not use the telephones to operate and thus you can access both the telephone and broadband services at the same time. There is no restriction in using the internet. You can use the internet anytime even when someone else is using the telephone.
As far as personal Internet use is concerned, cable internet service is set as the industry standard. The speeds offered by the cable broadband are faster than many other type of broadband. Cable internet providers offers great speeds of 12 megabits per seconds, whereas the DSL offers just six megabits per second. This means that cable broadband internet is a better alternative to other broadband in terms of speed. However, the Fibre optics is much faster that the cable broadband internet.
For users who use the internet frequently for various internet applications, a Cable broadband Internet connection is best suited. They can satisfy heavy internet users who stream large amount of web contents and those who play online games.
Another advantage with this type of connection is the reliability of the service. The reliability and consistency of the broadband services makes them very appealing. Besides, the signals do not drop.
During peak hours, the data transfer speeds gets low. During early evenings and mornings you should expect a slow down in the internet connection. The main reason for the slow speeds is that many internet customers use the same bandwidth at peak hours. Besides, they have to compete for bandwidths with television viewers as well. Cost-wise, the cable internet service is bit expensive.
A less reliable service is offered in rural areas by this Cable Broadband Internet Service. Most remote areas do not have access to cable broadband.